Therese Core Principles
Having made a career as a neurological surgeon, I have come to realize that there are five important things as a doctor must do to keep patients healthy and overcome disease:
- The patient's symptoms are the most important for diagnosis
- Treatment based on patient's point of view (based on accurate diagnosis) is crucial
- Patients muct find the best place for them to receive appropriate treatment
- Doctors must fully explain issues to patients so they can understand their illness and take proper actions to maintain/improve their health
- Physicians must never judge, and must always observe a patient's progress carefully
I will explain why these are important.
- What I place the most emphasis on diagnosing by doing my examination is not image inspection but to listen to the progress of symptoms. Listening to this process is the most important step for accurate diagnosis. Image inspection is only part of the judgment material.
- For example, if an unruptured cerebral aneurysm that causes subarachnoid hemorrhage with a brain dock is discovered, one should think about options other than craniotomy and catheter surgery. For that choice, it is important to give advice alongside with the patient's consideration. Risks always exist in treatment. It is important to think about how to avoid that risk, what value the treatment has, and how it will affect the life of the patient in the future. If it's your own family, what kind of choices will you make? That should always be the standard.
- Large hospitals are separated into many departments by specialty. It is difficult to undergo general examination, treatment is limited, and there are also many people who have gone through without precautionary examination but with no improvement in symptoms. It is important to think about the whole body and treat it.
- Even if a diagnosis is made and medication or surgery is performed, the most important thing is the patient's own resilience. It is important to properly manage the condition of the whole body from day to day in order to get over the disease. For that, it is necessary for patients themselves to understand what kind of life they should live.
- It is natural that we do diagnosis and treatment, but the idea that the doctor knows the human body is wrong. Always assess every possibility and treat it. It is important to follow the course of the patient after treatment.